East Bay musicians Shannon & the Clams, Tina Lucchesi (Trashwomen, Bobbyteens, Cyclops), and Jesse Townley (Blatz, Gr’ups, Criminals) share their favorite haunts in Oakland, Berkeley, Emeryville, Alameda, and Albany. Collectively, Shannon & the Clams have lived in Oakland for over 30 years, while Tina has called Oakland home for 15. Jesse has been a proud Berkeley resident for nearly three decades.
- Catch the panoramic view from Berkeley’s Lawrence Hall of Science (1 Centennial Drive, Berkeley).
- Explore the post-apocalyptic landscape of the Albany Bulb, aka Albany landfill (1 Buchanan Street, Albany).
- Spend a day at the races with $1 beer and hot dogs at Golden Gate Fields (1100 Eastshore Highway, Berkeley).
- Hike through redwoods and around a funeral pyre and pyramid at Joaquin Miller Park (3590 Sanborn Drive, Oakland).
- Get lost in Tilden Park‘s 2,079 acres of natural beauty.
- Catch a film at one of the East Bay’s many movie theaters (Grand Lake Theatre, New Parkway Theater).
- Stroll around Lake Merritt to watch some peeps, pups, and ducks.
- Tune in to UC Berkeley’s radio station KALX (90.7fm).
- Tool around town on a bicycle.
- Japanese-style fried chicken and side dishes at Aburaya Japanese Fried Chicken (380 15th Street, Oakland)
- Authentic Laos/Thai/Cambodian cuisine (Tina highly recommends the rice ball salad) at Champa Garden (2102 8th Avenue, Oakland)
- No-frills diner food with some vegetarian options at Broom Bush Cafe (2725 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley)
- “Honest, awesome, Mexican food” at Juan’s Place (941 Carleton Street, Berkeley)
- 1-2-3-4 Go! Records (420 40th Street #5, Oakland)
- Stranded (4929 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- Amoeba Music (2455 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley)
- Dave’s Record Shop (2634 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley)
- Down at Lulu’s (6603 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- Alameda Flea Market, aka Alameda Point Antiques Fair (2700 Saratoga Street, Alameda)
- San Pablo Flea Market (6100 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland)
- Vintage clothing (Mercy Vintage, Pretty Penny, Empress Vintage)
- Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley (Moe’s Books, Rasputin Music, Mars Mercantile, boba drinks)
- Stork Club (2330 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- White Horse Bar (6551 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- 924 Gilman (924 Gilman Street, Berkeley)
- Trader Vic’s (9 Anchor Drive, Emeryville)
- Forbidden Island (1304 Lincoln Avenue, Alameda)
- Ruby Room (132 14th Street, Oakland)
FEATURED BAND PERFORMANCES (in order of appearance)
Shannon & the Clams at Starline Social Club, Oakland
Shannon & the Clams at Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
Tina Lucchesi with Thunderroads & Fink at Shelter, Tokyo
Cyclops at Shelter, Oakland
Cyclops at White Horse, Oakland
Blatz at 924 Gilman Street, Berkeley (footage courtesy of Shayne Stacy)
At 1-2-3-4 Go! Records, Oakland
Try the Pie
Rule of Thirds at First Church of the Buzzard, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
Healers at Life Changing Ministry, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
Weather Warlock at The Church, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
At Stork Club, Oakland
At White Horse, Oakland
At 924 Gilman Street
The Side Eyes
Jello Biafra at Forbidden Island, Alameda