San Francisco musicians Blag Dahlia (the Dwarves), Shayde Sartin (Sonny & the Sunsets, the Fresh & Onlys), and Sammy and Helene (the Okmoniks) take you on a rocknroll tour through San Francisco, sharing their favorite sights, restaurants, bars, record stores, clubs, and more. Respectively, they’ve lived in San Francisco for 30, 17, and 7 years.
- Step back in time with vintage arcade games and toothpick dioramas made by Alcatraz prisoners at Musée Mécanique (Pier 45), tucked amidst the touristy chaos of Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Fill your pockets up with quarters for pinball-palooza at Free Gold Watch (1767 Waller Street), a silk-screening shop that’s home to dozens of machines.
- Pull on your walking shoes and explore North Beach, Chinatown, the Mission, the Haight, the Richmond, the Sunset, and San Francisco’s other colorful neighborhoods.
- Clamber around the ruins of the Sutro Baths (Point Lobos Ave) and dare to venture into the nearby Goonies– style cave.
- Escape to the towering redwoods of Muir Woods (1 Muir Woods Road, Mill Valley).
- Indian pizza at Zante Indian Pizza (3489 Mission Street)
Authentic German sausages, schnitzel, and more at Schmidt’s (2400 Folsom Street)
- Organic California cuisine served until 1am at Nopa (560 Divisadero Street)
- Artful sushi and Japanese fare at Tsunami (1306 Fulton Street)
- Thrillhouse Records (3422 Mission Street)
- Rooky Ricardo’s (448 Haight Street)
- Grooves (1797 Market Street)
- Valencia Street (boutiques, bookstores, record stores)
- Chinatown (souvenirs, firecrackers, novelty items)
- Haight Street (vintage clothing, record stores, Loved to Death)
Hemlock Tavern (1131 Polk Street)
- The Knockout (3223 Mission Street)
- Thee Parkside (1600 17th Street)
- Bottom of the Hill (1233 17th Street)
- Smuggler’s Cove (650 Gough Street)
- Gold Cane Cocktail Lounge (1569 Haight Street)
- Molotov’s (582 Haight Street)
The stylish, mid-century Phoenix Hotel (601 Eddy Street) is where touring bands such as the Black Lips, Joan Jett, the Jesus & Mary Chain, and the Damned stay when they’re passing through town. The heated pool is a plus and often the focus of splashy events.
FEATURED BAND PERFORMANCES (in order of appearance)
The Dwarves at Thee Parkside, San Francisco
Sonny & the Sunsets at Midsummer Studios, Emeryville
The Fresh & Onlys at The Chapel, San Francisco
The Okmoniks at Hemlock Tavern, San Francisco / Stork Club, Oakland / Thee Parkside, San Francisco
At Hemlock Tavern
At The Knockout
Vicky & the Vengents
The Atom Age
DJ Daniel Segura
DJ Russell Quan
At Thee Parkside
Personal & the Pizzas
At Bottom of the Hill