Roman musicians Giuda, Plutonium Baby, and Marco Sannino & Valentina Pedone (of Radiation Records, TJ & the Lipstix, Anti You, the Intellectuals, and more) take you on a colorful rock and roll tour of the Eternal City, sharing their favorite sights, restaurants, bars, record stores, clubs, and more. Map should appear at the end of the page but can also be accessed here.
- Ramble through the open-air museum that is Rome’s downtown, starting your walk with fantastic views of the city from Villa Medici.
- Peek through the keyhole of the Malta Embassy (Knights of Malta keyhole) for a special look at St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Engage with dynamic contemporary art at Museo dell’Altro e dell’Altrove (MAAM; Museum of the Other and the Elsewhere), a former-sausage-factory-turned-squat in the suburbs of Rome.
- Marvel at larger-than-life street art in the neighborhoods of Ostiense, Testaccio, Pigneto, and San Lorenzo; the towering murals at Tor Marancia; and street art in and around Forte Prenestino, a 19th-century fort that houses Rome’s oldest squat.
- Explore the EUR district and its imposing Fascist-era architecture and sculptures.
- Escape the tourist hordes for herds of sheep and plenty of space (and ancient ruins!) at sprawling Parco della Caffarella (Caffarella Park), located along the Appian Way.
- Enjoy a walk, jog, bike ride, or picnic amid 1st-century aqueducts and other crumbling structures at Parco degli Acquedotti (Aqueduct Park).
- Admire the whimsical, early- 20th-century creations of architect Gino Coppedè at Quartiere Coppedè.
- Thin, crunchy pizza romana at Pizzeria Pepito’s (Via degli Stradivari 17), especially the one with just tomato sauce and olive oil
- Classic Roman cuisine, such as pasta alla gricia, at Osteria Bonelli (Viale dell’Acquedotto Alessandrino 172) in Torpignattara, a neighborhood just beyond the city center
- Sicilian favorites at La Confraternita dell’Uva (Via Augusto Dulceri 56)
- Fresh vegan dishes at So What?!? (Via Ettore Giovenale 56)
- Whipped-cream-laden Roman buns (maritozzi) and other indulgent delights at late-night-favorite Il Maritozzaro (Via Ettore Rolli 50)
- Radiation Records (Monti: Via del Boschetto 94; Pigneto: Circonvallazione Casilina 44)
- Soul Food Record Shop (Via di San GIovanni in Laterano 192/194)
- Hellnation Record Store (Via Nomentana 113)
- Rione Monti for vintage clothing, alternative fashion, quirky boutiques, and artisanal food
- King Size Vintage (Via Leonina 78)
- Pifebo Vintage (3 locations: Via dei Serpenti 135, Via dei Serpenti 141, Via dei Valeri 10)
- Porta Portese Flea Market (Piazza di Porta Portese; Sunday only)
ROCK & ROLL
- Fanfulla (Via Fanfulla da Lodi 5/A); ARCI membership required and is available for purchase onsite
- 30 Formiche (Via del Mandrione 3); ARCI membership required and is available for purchase onsite
- Note: “Bars” in Italy serve alcohol but operate more like cafés/coffee houses, serving coffee and other nonalcoholic beverages as well as pastries for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. For nighttime drinking establishments, head to the Pigneto and San Lorenzo neighborhoods and look for signs that say “enoteca” and “birreria” in addition to “pub,” “wine bar,” and “cocktail bar.”
- Hop Corner (Via di San Barnaba 1)
- Enoteca at Forte Prenestino (Via Federico Delpino); Enotica wine festival takes place each March
FEATURED BAND PERFORMANCES (in order of appearance)
Giuda at Thee Parkside, San Francisco
Giuda at Orion Club (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Plutonium Baby at Hellnation Records
Plutonium Baby at Traffic (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Anti You at Fanfulla (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
TJ & the Lipstix at Human Audio, Stockholm (courtesy of Wellington Calasans)
TJ & the Lipstix at Fanfulla (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Bloody Riot at Forte Prenestino (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Partime Lovers at 30 Formiche
Human Race at Monk (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Plutonium Baby at 30 Formiche (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Gioventù Bruciata at Forte Prenestino (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Mark Di Giuseppe/Trashman Blues at Porta Portese Flea Market
The Intellectuals (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Diplomatics (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Antares (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
Giuda (courtesy of Marco Marcxramone Colasanti)
AT 30 FORMICHE