East Bay musicians Shannon & the Clams, Tina Lucchesi (Trashwomen, Bobbyteens, Cyclops), and Jesse Townley (Blatz, Gr’ups, Criminals) share their favorite haunts in Oakland, Berkeley, Emeryville, Alameda, and Albany. Collectively, Shannon & the Clams have lived in Oakland for over 30 years, while Tina has called Oakland home for 15. Jesse has been a proud Berkeley resident for nearly three decades.
- Catch the panoramic view from Berkeley’s Lawrence Hall of Science (1 Centennial Drive, Berkeley).
- Explore the post-apocalyptic landscape of the Albany Bulb, aka Albany landfill (1 Buchanan Street, Albany).
- Spend a day at the races with $1 beer and hot dogs at Golden Gate Fields (1100 Eastshore Highway, Berkeley).
- Hike through redwoods and around a funeral pyre and pyramid at Joaquin Miller Park (3590 Sanborn Drive, Oakland).
- Get lost in Tilden Park‘s 2,079 acres of natural beauty.
- Catch a film at one of the East Bay’s many movie theaters (Grand Lake Theatre, New Parkway Theater).
- Stroll around Lake Merritt to watch some peeps, pups, and ducks.
- Tune in to UC Berkeley’s radio station KALX (90.7fm).
- Tool around town on a bicycle.
- Japanese-style fried chicken and side dishes at Abura-Ya Japanese Fried Chicken (380 15th Street, Oakland)
- Authentic Laos/Thai/Cambodian cuisine (Tina highly recommends the rice ball salad) at Champa Garden (2102 8th Avenue, Oakland)
- No-frills diner food with some vegetarian options at Broom Bush Cafe (2725 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley)
- “Honest, awesome, Mexican food” at Juan’s Place (941 Carleton Street, Berkeley)
- 1-2-3-4 Go! Records (420 40th Street #5, Oakland)
- Stranded (4929 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- Amoeba Music (2455 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley)
- Dave’s Record Shop (2634 San Pablo Avenue, Berkeley)
- Down at Lulu’s (6603 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- Alameda Flea Market, aka Alameda Point Antiques Fair (2700 Saratoga Street, Alameda)
- San Pablo Flea Market (6100 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland)
- Vintage clothing (Mercy Vintage, Pretty Penny, Empress Vintage)
- Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley (Moe’s Books, Rasputin Music, Mars Mercantile, boba drinks)
- Stork Club (2330 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- White Horse Bar (6551 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland)
- 924 Gilman (924 Gilman Street, Berkeley)
- Trader Vic’s (9 Anchor Drive, Emeryville)
- Forbidden Island (1304 Lincoln Avenue, Alameda)
- Ruby Room (132 14th Street, Oakland)
FEATURED BAND PERFORMANCES (in order of appearance)
- Shannon & the Clams at Starline Social Club, Oakland
- Shannon & the Clams at Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
- Tina Lucchesi with Thunderroads & Fink at Shelter, Tokyo
- Cyclops at Shelter, Oakland
- Cyclops at White Horse, Oakland
- Blatz at 924 Gilman Street, Berkeley (footage courtesy of Shayne Stacy)
At 1-2-3-4 Go! Records, Oakland
- Rule of Thirds at First Church of the Buzzard, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
- Healers at Life Changing Ministry, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
- Weather Warlock at The Church, Oakland (footage courtesy of Alejandro L. Flores)
At Stork Club, Oakland
At White Horse, Oakland
At 924 Gilman Street
- Jello Biafra at Forbidden Island, Alameda